Saturday, September 8, 2007

Jackassery in the City

When Alex suggested we start this blog, I liked the idea, but was concerned that because we were making a concerted effort to have missed connections, the missed connections that we had would be somehow forced, you know, "the act of measuring changes that which is being measured," etc.

However, while I have been paying more attention to my surroundings, I don't know that people's behavior has changed. This one isn't the type we were looking to experiment with, but I think it still fits into our experimental purview, since I had a nice little é tête-à-tête with someone who astutely pointed out the main lure of the missed connections section.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

real slick, slickster - wfm (14 st 1/2/3/L underpass)

you took a metro from the man who says "metro, metro, metro" every morning and is generally a nice dude and you THREW it on the ground, forcing him to pick it up. he called after you that if he was his old self, he would beat you up, but that he was a changed man. this was enough to prove to me that you were an asshole.

BUT THEN.

you picked up a metro from the pile behind the pillar. if you wanted a metro, why did you throw it on the ground? did your mom not love you? do you have a small penis? WHAT IS IT????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JJ emailed:
I'm so glad you weren't writing that guy to tell him you like him. When I first started reading your post, I thought that's where it was going because that's where these usually go. Glad you told him off instead. Sounds like a jerk. See ya' ; )

Frankie
emailed:
oof, no way. this guy was a 1st rate jackass. i was SO CLOSE to going over to him and saying something, since i probably could have taken him, but he sprinted away like a small evil elf. thanks for the vote of confidence!


JJ
emailed:
You're welcome. I love it.....you were so close to kicking his ass; too bad you didn't. Yeah....I was getting ready for you to write something like, ".....but you were so cute and I just loved that hipster shirt and can help you be a better person if you let me...." So I'm glad you took the high road and told the asshole off. Isn't it amazing the random shit you see here? I see both extremes all the time....a completely polite and courteous person, and then an absolute sub-human, rudely inconsiderate ass like the guy you mentioned in your post.....and we are all thrown together and co-existing on top of one another. It is a bit daunting. Anyway, that's my rant for the day ; )

Frankie
emailed:
ha - that's why i'm completely obsessed with the missed connections section. it's like a little slice of humanity on display, but you don't see a whole lot of middle ground, just the "holy shit, you're a god(dess) with a golden tongue!" or "holy shit, you are a festering maggot that doesn't deserve to breathe!" varieties. it's the highest highs and the lowest lows, but in the safety of the internet. if that makes me a coward, so be it. now that i know that someone would have my back, maybe i will say something in real life...

JJ
emailed:
Well, I don't know if anyone else would have your back, so you may want to re-think that. Actually, a few people have had my back on more than one occasion of dealing with assholes, believe it or not. I was dealing with this one ASSHOLE on the bus a few weeks ago, and a bunch of people....all different types....actually stepped up on my behalf. It was pretty cool. You're not from here, are you?

No comments: